Many of you have asked for books, articles, podcasts and other trusted resources that will help you shape a cohesive worldview. I’m encouraged by this, because behind these requests seems to be a fresh sense of urgency to gain wisdom and knowledge in a time of relentless confusion and chaos. Now is certainly the time for people—especially Christians—to think clearly and critically.
The following list is a great starting point, but it’s not meant to be comprehensive. Also, the inclusion of a person or their work does not mean I agree with everything they say, and the absence of a person or their work does not mean I don’t recommend them.
There are quite a few people on this list with whom I disagree either politically or theologically but who have offered me, for example, economic insight that has honed my views. There may also many other wonderful writers and thinkers and resources that have impacted me that I have forgotten to add here.
I’ll add to this list as time goes on!
- Theology & the Christian Life
- I use the ESV Study Bible, but the John MacArthur ESV or NASB Study Bible is great as well.
- The Westminster Catechism
- Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
- Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis
- A Little Book on the Christian Life by John Calvin
- Morning and Evening: a Daily Devotional by Charles Spurgeon
- The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer
- Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper
- The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
- The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur
- Love Thy Body by Nancy Pearcey
- Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey
- Reason for God by Tim Keller
- Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller
- Every Good Endeavor by Tim Keller
- God, Greed and the Prosperity Gospel by Costi Hinn
- Tactics by Greg Koukl
- The Constitution. Seriously–buy a copy and read it!
- The Federalist Papers
- Politics According to the Bible by Wayne Grudem
- Quest for Cosmic Justice by Thomas Sowell
- Black Rednecks and White Liberals by Thomas Sowell
- Liberty Versus the Tyranny of Socialism by Walter Williams
- American Contempt for Liberty by Walter Williams
- The Case Against Socialism by Rand Paul
- Irreversible Damage by Abigail Shrier
- Please Stop Helping Us by Jason Riley
- Losing the Race by John McWhorter
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- Live Not By Lies by Rod Dreher
- Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
- Discrimination and Disparities by Thomas Sowell
- Race and Economics by Walter Williams
- Lessons from the Least of These by Robert Woodson
- History/ Biographies
- The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw
- The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt
- An American Life by Ronald Reagan
- The Second World Wars by Victor Davis Hanson
- Great Society by Amity Shlaes
- Churchill: Walking With Destiny by Andrew Roberts
- Night by Elie Wiesel
- Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick
- Survival in the Killing Fields by Haing Ngor
- Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by John Meacham
- Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow
- Hamilton by Ron Chernow
- Martin Luther by Eric Metaxes
- Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas
PODCASTS (A SAMPLING OF *MANY* I LOVE):
- Ask Pastor John
- 10-ish minute podcast with John Piper answering theological questions from listeners
- Just Thinking Podcast
- Darrell Harrison and Virgil Walker are wonderful critical thinkers on all aspects of the Christian life, including “taboo” topics like slavery reparations, systemic racism and white privilege. They analyze it all through the lens of the gospel.
- The Briefing
- Dr. Albert Mohler’s daily podcast that breaks down current events from a biblical worldview.
ARTICLES, VIDEOS, ETC., ON PERTINENT TOPICS:
PASTORS AND THEOLOGIANS TO LEARN FROM:
- C.S. Lewis
- John MacArthur
- Steven Lawson
- John Piper
- R.C. Sproul
- Alistair Begg
- Martin Lloyd Jones
- Charles Spurgeon
- J.I. Packer
FOR YOUR KIDS
I talk about many of these subjects on my podcast, and in my new book, You’re Not Enough (& That’s Okay): Escaping the Toxic Culture of Self-Love.
Hope this is all helpful to you! Love y’all!
Thank you! I’m going to a very liberal art school in the fall and am realizing how important it is to have a defense for what I believe, and to know why I believe what I believe. I’m definitely going to be looking into these.
Love you Allie!! My book list is a mile long!!
Thank you for your resources! I would add the Sheologians podcast by Summer Jaeger as well. Also, Neil Shenvi’s website is 🔥
This list is so wonderful to have! I absolutely love Eric Metaxas and his books and was excited to see a shared resource! Keep up all the great work you’re doing!
Love having all of this in one list! What a great resource! Thank you!
On a recent podcast you had mentioned you were going to have a link to homeschooling resources on your blog but I am not seeing them. Could you direct me to where they are? Or maybe you haven’t had a chance to add them yet…
Thanks for all you do and the truth you speak!!!
The Radical Book for Kids, Exploring the Roots of Christian faith is great. Tim Challies is also a great resource for solid reformed book recs/reviews. (And has some good videos on what not to read!)
We have also enjoyed Wise Words, Parables from Nature, Adventures in the Big Thicket, and The Lamb.
For adults, anything by Jerry Bridges
I think you meant little pilgrims progress
Ahh, compiled at last into one long, beautiful list! Super helpful. Thank you, Allie!
A friend forwarded your “Democrat response video” and thought it was spot on. Keep up the good work!
Hi Allie— I love what you’re doing both online and via your podcast. Thanks for all the hard work you put into every topic you present. I was wondering whether you recommend The Gospel Coalition as a resource? I have learned a great deal there on theology and cultural topics but did not see it in your resources list and wondered if that was intentional. I’m wanting to learn your take, which I really appreciate.
Allie, I just discovered you a couple of months ago and I’m so glad I did! Because there is so much going on in the world right now it’s easy to forget that “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places”. I commend and encourage you for speaking truth to the masses. To that end, I have a few resources I’d like to add.
A Christian Manifesto- Francis A. Schaeffer (you can also view his speaking engagements on the matter on YouTube).
Pollution And The Death of Man- Francis A. Schaeffer
Trinitarian Bible Society (tbsbibles.org)- they have many resources there, including some coloring and puzzle books for kids.
Reformation Heritage Books (heritagebooks.org)- Puritan and Reformed literature.
Songs For Saplings (songsforsaplings.com)- Various children’s resources for individuals and churches. Very missions minded.
Rich Mullins- ‘Nuf said.
Thank you for letting me add my two cents. Providential blessings!
Love the work you put into making things known and available for the sake of the gospel. Remember your first Love, sister, and do not grow weary in doing good <3
This is an incredible resource list. I encourage you to check out Her-Story: 366 Devotions from 21 Centuries of the Christian Church. Christian women would benefit from seeing what faithfulness looked like in the lives of women in earlier generations. It would also help them see how the gospel has been used to liberate and elevate women all over the world. Thanks for all that you do!!
Thank the Lord for your voice! You are truly an inspiring Godly woman, praise the Lord for all of your content, podcast, YouTube channel, website… everything you do glorifies His name. I am always sharing your content with friends and family in the hope that the Lord will reach them through you. Please continue doing what you’re doing as you are making a difference in so many lives.
I am from Australia and I wish we had more voices like you here. I am currently 25 week pregnant and just listened to your ep.466 on biblical motherhood and thought it was brilliant. Can I ask did you take any MAT leave and if so for how long? Do you think there is an appropriate amount of time for a Christian mother to be on MAT leave? I guess I’m worried that if I take too little time then I won’t get to spend quality time with my baby teaching him the word… would love your advice here. Also, I have heard you talking about homeschooling in the past, is this something you are planning on doing with your children? It’s a little different here in Australia, very rare to find many Christians homeschooling. But would also love to hear your advice around this topic too.
God Bless you Allie.
Lots of love
14 Comments on RECOMMENDED RESOURCES